Due to the Google ranking signal update — Core Web Vitals. I had help a couple of websites to convert from WPBakery / Visual Composer / Elementor / Divi to Gutenberg.
Why Elementor convert to Gutenberg?
Speed and lightweight, furthermore Gutenberg is the default WordPress block editor. Is way more easy to maintain the website, you can easily to build a Gutenberg website to score above 90 in Google Page Insights. And is more difficult with Page Builder (I don’t minify Java Scripts).
Gutenberg vs Elementor
Elementor is so powerful, any layman non coder can pick up easily. It have lots of cool features and functionality. For advanced user, building website with dynamic content is super easy with Elementor.
Plus, the ease of use of Elementor is far more superiors than Gutenberg. I can easily build a 4 page brochure website in a day, but not with Gutenberg.
Building with Gutenberg is way more easier than I thought, with Kadence blocks, I can easily build up some brochure site in few days.
Gutenberg uses fewer assets scripts and page size way lighter compare to Elementor or page builder like WPBakery / Visual Composer / Divi. After building few websites with Gutenberg, I felt most brochure site DO NOT require using Elementor to build.
I do come across an Elementor website with additional of 8 different addons. Which is crazy, it make the website so heavy, every page needs to loads a lot of extra assets from each Elementor addon. Make it impossible to optimise for speed.
Elementor just raise up their price on 9th March. The price from USD199 per year to USD999 per year for 1,000 websites. KadenceWP’s membership is only USD599 for lifetime membership with Unlimited website. My favourite lightweight theme – Blocksy is only USD 299.
Steps to convert Elementor site to Gutenberg
- Research & planning. I always take time to plan. Which plugin to be removed, which plugin to be replaced.
- Back up and create a staging website. Putting an under construction on the website for week is not a wise idea for SEO.
- Remove the Elementor and its add-on. Unliked convert from WPBakery, you do not need to remove short code. Elementor DO NOT leave you any miserable of short code after you uninstall.
- Install theme and Gutenberg editor, I use Blocksy theme with Kadence Blocks editor + Editor Plus by Extendify
- Use theme’s customizer to custom the header and footer of website. The Blocksy header & footer builder is the best I had use. Way better than other lightweight theme.
- Rebuild those pages with Gutenberg block editor.
- Database optimization with Advanced Database Cleaner Pro
- Speed optimization for SEO.
Below image is convert from Visual Composer to Gutenberg. The total page size from 12.4MB reduce to 573KB. From 1% to 100% in GTMetrix.